Thursday, January 19, 2012

Yes, I must have that...!

Let me show you this neat book that I recently ordered:
There are numerous books out there that are similar to this, and maybe even better, but this is the one that I settled on. What I like about it is that it is a quick guide to all sorts of fresh fruits, veggies, and other foods--it gives an up-close look at what nutrients are in each food and how they help your body. It also gives tips on foods that may help you boost your immune system, fight disease, and lots of other things.


I think it's amazing that God has made all sorts of foods that help to heal our bodies, if we will just fuel up with them. It simply fascinates me. That's why I like this up-close-and-personal look at these foods--many of which are naturally gluten free!

And on that note...There are not too many gluten free recipes that I've thought, "I have to make that--right now." I mean, most could wait at least a few days. But when I saw this one recipe in this book, I thought that exact thing: I. Must. Have. This!!!

So I did.
I went to the produce section of the grocery store, and grabbed the fresh ingredients for this Garlic, Basil, & Tomato Pasta (p.s. I took this picture before I put on the freshly grated parmesan cheese, but I have to say you MUST have the parmesan cheese! It makes a world of difference!).
I love garlic.
(The smell of chopping up raw garlic used to bring back some very bad memories...not so much anymore; but that's a post for another time.)
That's one of the things that drew me into this recipe: it taught me how to roast my own garlic. I couldn't pass that up :) And I really felt like an authentic Italian chef making this recipe!
Using this gluten free pasta, I made this recipe with fresh basil and ripe little cherry tomatoes. And of course, the roasted garlic (for step by step photos, click here). 
Just in time for this recipe, I discovered that Maggie at She Let Them Eat Cake is hosting this month's "Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten Free" challenge. This month's challenge is "Foods That Heal." How appropriate. 

Enter the garlic. Garlic is high in Vitamin C, and is very useful in helping ward off colds and boosting your immune system. Some also think that it helps to fight off chronic diseases, and fight against cancer.

So, go ahead: Roll up your sleeves, roast that garlic, and feel like a true Italian chef in your own kitchen for a few minutes!

Roasted Garlic, Tomato, and Basil Pasta
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 whole bulb of garlic, top removed
ground black pepper to taste
12 oz. spaghetti or angel hair pasta
1 c. cherry tomatoes, diced (I halved mine)
1 T. fresh basil chopped
fresh parmesan cheese, a few shavings

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle 1 t. of olive oil into open garlic bulb. Place the garlic in a pan and roast for 30 minutes and allow to cool.
Hold the garlic over a bowl and dig out the flesh from each clove with the point of a knife. When all the flesh has been removed, pour in the remaining olive oil and add plenty of black pepper. Place in food processor and mix well.
Cook the pasta as instructed on the package. Drain and return it to a clean pan. Pour in oil and garlic mixture and toss pasta over medium-high heat until all strands are well coated. Top with diced tomatoes and basil. Serve immediately with shaved parmesan.

Bon apetit! :)

2 comments:

  1. November 2012
    My husband and I am just beginning to start on a gluten free diet and going crazy because I don't what does and doesn't have wheat. I am reading all different blogs and web pages with recipes and it is all mind boggling! I saw this recipe and it looks so good and easy. I have MS and have been on a lot of medication sine 2002 and I want to get off most of them, some I still need and I found this site of "healthy eating". I do make green smoothies with both veggies and fruit in them but I needed more of a "push" to get healthy. Thanks for sharing your recipes and also the cookbook you posted.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I am so glad that you found this helpful...I know that it can be so overwhelming when you change your eating so drastically. If you haven't already, check out my Links tab for more of my favorite blogs...also the New to GF tab. I hope this helps! Thanks for checking out my blog! Let me know if I can help you more! :)

      Delete