Sunday, January 1, 2012

Experimenting Adventures :)

So, I can't deny it:
I have a sweet tooth.

However, since I have begun eating differently, I've figured out that my body can tolerate much less sugar than it used to. Even bittersweet chocolate (since it has a little bit of refined sugar added) doesn't sit very well with me. But that has not kept me from experimenting! In this process I have discovered something new: raw recipes.


People who eat the "raw diet" use real food (no processed foods, and are usually vegan) and don't ever heat anything over 115 degrees. Although I definitely could never make it eating "raw" all the time, I am very happy to have discovered raw dessert recipes, especially those involving chocolate. I use unsweetened cocoa powder, and usually sweeten it with agave nectar or fruit (such as dates) in recipes. And there are usually "mystery ingredients," but it's all real food, so it makes me feel good about what I'm eating!

Such is the case with these: Raw Dark Chocolate Brownies.
The mystery ingredient? Avocados. (it gives the icing a good creamy texture)
The crust that I used comes from this recipe at Raw Food Recipes. It fills a 8x8" square pan. For my "whirl" at it, I used almonds because it's what I had, but now I know why most recipes I read say to use pecans or walnuts. These are softer than almonds, and better absorb the date paste, so that the crust sticks together better. The filling from this recipe only fills up 1/2 the pan when spread out, so next time, I will double it. For this post, I already doubled the ingredients used, so it should work fine.

Crust:
1 c. nuts (110g. walnuts or pecans, or 160g. almonds)
1 c. (150g) pitted dates
1/3 c. (30g.) unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey's)

Process in food processor until crumbly.
Press into 8x8" square glass pan.

Filling:
2-4 avocados (equal to 280g. flesh)
1/4 c. (80g.) agave nectar
1/3 c. (30g.) cocoa powder
4t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon

Process in cleaned out food processor (or blender) till smooth.


Spread over crust, and then put in the freezer for about an hour, or until set.
  
Since these pics were taken with my almond crust, you can tell it's a bit crumbly.

Store the brownies in the freezer, but let them set out about 5 minutes before serving, so that they soften a little bit.

Although the idea still needs a little work, I thought you may enjoy sharing in my little curiosities!

No comments:

Post a Comment