Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins


I love the weekends, because I have time to cook. Of course, I also run my needed errands, go walk, or just laze around in general. But usually some sort of baking or cooking gets accomplished, in volumes that I can't manage during the week. It's the best time to try new recipes, too.


This morning, I made Lemon Poppyseed Muffins (in the picture above, they are displayed on a lovely dessert plate that was given to me by a friend!).  I remember, when I was growing up, my mom would make lemon poppyseed muffins; they were from a box mix, but they were soooo good! (just like red velvet cake; the box mix is always the best...Oh, and blueberry muffins, too) Slowly, I am learning to create my own GF versions of these favorites. I definitely think these mini muffins were a success (except that I tend to eat more of them because they are tiny)!


This recipe is adapted from Elana's Pantry. I used melted coconut oil instead of the grapeseed extract. 

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
1/4 c. coconut flour
1/4 t. sea salt
1/4 t. baking soda
3 eggs
1/4 c. agave nectar
1/4 c. melted coconut oil
1 T. lemon zest (rinds of about 2 lemons)
1 T. poppy seeds

In small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, agave, coconut oil, and lemon zest (add the coconut oil as close to the end as you can, because it will start solidifying as it comes to room temperature. If it does, just keep whisking, and get it in the pans as quickly as possible). Whisk dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in poppy seeds. Spoon batter evenly into greased mini muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 min.
Makes about 24 mini muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment