Monday, January 2, 2012

"Ice Cream" in Winter


OK, so I'm on a dessert kick...but this is one dessert (of many) that you can feel good about eating.
Because it's not really ice cream.

Not the dairy kind, anyway. I haven't had actual ice cream for years (although frozen yogurt didn't bother me; I don't eat it now because of the sugar). This "ice cream" idea is not original (this one is adapted from this recipe), but it's a great basic recipe that you can tweak pretty much any way you like.
The cold creaminess of it isn't bad either :)

Take 1
Here's the basic recipe:
2 bananas, sliced and frozen
coconut or almond milk (about 1/4c, but just add a little at a time)

Let bananas sit out of freezer for about 5 minutes before using. Blend ingredients in blender until smooth. 

* For this ice cream, I added a little vanilla; I also sprinkled on top the extra crumbs from the crust of these brownies. You can also add a drop of peppermint extract and some dark chocolate or carob chips if you want, for mint chocolate chip.

Take 2:
I stirred in some of these chocolate crust crumbles to make yummy nut butter and chocolate ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment