Saturday, January 28, 2012

Orange Walnut Crumble Cakes - from Daily Bites

I just made 6 dozen of these muffins for a lovely women's gathering at my church this morning (I also made Lemon Poppyseed Muffins). I could probably do an entire post about how much I love the incredible, beautiful women at my church, but at this point, let's just say they are an amazing blessing to me! :)



This recipe comes from Hallie at Daily Bites. They are so yummy, and I even had non-GF eaters that liked them!

This was my first time using coconut palm sugar. I did, however, substitute the honey in the original recipe for agave. I didn't have arrowroot starch, and figured out that I could substitute twice the amount of starch for almond flour (there was 2t. of starch in original recipe). My version ended up making 12 mini muffins, and I reduced the baking time to 10 minutes.





Orange Walnut Crumble Bites 

For the crumble topping:
1/4 c. chopped walnuts
2 T. coconut sugar
2 T. coconut oil, room temp. (not melted)
1/2 t. ground cinnamon

For the muffins:
1/4 c. coconut flour
4 t. almond flour
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. sea salt
1/4 t. baking soda
2 large eggs
1/4 c. agave nectar
2 t. orange zest
1 t. vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 cups of a mini muffin pan with mini paper liners.

In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the crumble topping with your fingers. Work into a crumbly, clumpy mixture. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, almond flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, agave nectar, orange zest, and vanilla to combine. Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and whisk to combine thoroughly.

Divide the batter among the lined muffin cups. Crumble a bit of the topping over each cake. Bake for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a cake.
Cool completely before serving. (Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment