Monday, April 16, 2012

Six months :)

Yes, I have made it gluten free for six months :)

As a celebration, of course I had to do something having to do with tea...Although it's spring, and some may be transitioning to drinking more cold tea, I think hot tea is still good in the early morning chill, or as a calming ritual before bed.


I've posted a recipe for coconut and almond scones before--and I still like them!--but I had yet to master a GF recipe for basic scones. A couple of weeks ago, I started playing around in the kitchen, knowing that I was having a friend over for a much-needed time of "taking tea," and I wanted to have something special.

So, here is my newest scone recipe! You can substitute the flours in the recipe for 9oz of the whole grain flour blend. This is a very versatile recipe, and you can add 1/2c. of fruit, such as chopped apples, or berries--yum!

Basic Whole-Grain Scones

2 oz. white rice flour
2 oz. brown rice flour
2 oz. sorghum flour
3 oz. teff flour
1/2 t. sea salt
2 t. baking powder
0.5 oz. coconut palm sugar
3 oz. coconut oil, room temp (not melted)
6 oz. almond milk
1 t. vanilla
3 oz. (1/2 c.) fruit, opt. (chopped apples, berries, etc)

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Weigh out the coconut oil in the same bowl, and cut it into the flours, using two knives, till crumbly. Add almond milk and vanilla, and mix with a spatula just until combined. Stir in fruit, if using. Quickly pat dough into a circle about 2" thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into eight wedges (like you would cut a pizza), and place scones on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes, or until scones have slightly browned on the edges.

Let the scones cool before serving. These are amazing when drizzled with honey, or spread with some of your favorite jam!
 Shared at Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment