Saturday, April 28, 2012

Dear Sweet Tea, where have you been all my life??

With summer quickly approaching (it's already been over 100 degrees F this week where I live, at least once), I thought it was high time I posted another beverage to this blog, as it seems I've neglected this department ;) When I first went gluten-free, refined sugar free, I thought that I'd said goodbye forever to sweet tea...I used to love making it when friends came over, and I'll never forget the first time I discovered how to make "sun tea"! :) Well, now, thanks to inspiration from one of my friends, I have discovered the art of making sweet tea with agave nectar (or honey). You can do it for individual servings, or for a whole pitcher--though ultimately, you can sweeten (or not sweeten) to taste. A perfect addition to your next cookout or picnic!

For individual servings:

Boil your water for tea, and put the tea bag of choice (I've even done herbal tea) into your mug. Fill the cup only about half-way, and let steep for about 10 minutes (to get a really strong brew).
After taking out the tea bag, pour the tea into a plastic cup (ceramic mugs may crack when the temperature changes), and fill it with about the same amount of cold water (I use filtered). Sweeten with agave nectar or honey to taste (I only use about 1 teaspoon, and it turns out fine). Place the cup in the freezer to chill, about 15 minutes, or in the fridge (will take about 30 minutes). When the tea has chilled, plop in a couple of ice cubes, and serve!

For a whole pitcher:

Put about 7-10 bags of tea (preferably black or decaf) into a small saucepan (7 bags for 3 quarts, 10 bags for 1 gallon). Pour boiling water over them until they are just covered. Let tea bags sit for 15-20 minutes, to allow them to steep and make a very strong, condensed brew.
Take out the tea bags, and pour into a plastic pitcher (I think mine's a 3-quart pitcher). Fill the rest of the pitcher with cold water. Sweeten with about 1/2 c. agave nectar, or to taste. Stir to dissolve.
Place in the fridge for about 2 hours, or till cold. Serve in fun, summer-y glasses over ice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment