Friday, April 6, 2012

An inspiring miracle story...and a recipe

"The practice of giving thanks...this is the way we practice the presence of God, stay present to His presence, and it is always a practice of the eyes. We don't have to change what we see. Only the way we see" (One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp, p. 135).

We've been discussing this at my church..."practicing the presence of God"....Keeping our eyes open to His presence in our everyday lives. I like what is said here: it's not about changing what we see, but how we see it. Looking for joy, even in the pain, tears, and heartache--looking for God. Knowing that He is for me, and feels my pain, sees my tears, and still speaks His kind words and brings healing...even if it's different that I thought it would look like.




With this in mind--just in time for Easter, the celebration of Life--here's an example of how one person found joy in the midst of difficulty. This video was posted on Facebook recently by one of my friends. It's the story of a miracle. And I wanted to share it with you.

My friend Kirby recently fought and won the battle with cancer. It has been a long, hard several months for him and his wife as they've gone through this. But the strength that he and his family have displayed is amazing. I am inspired and encouraged by his story, and hope you will be, too.
So you should watch this video; it's so worth it.
Also, please read more of his story on his blog, The Heart of Victory. You will be glad you did.

(p.s. Kirby has not asked me to do this; I did it because I wanted to. I did get permission from him to share this video)


~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And, with no proper segue in mind, I would like to also share with you my latest creation!

"Oatmeal" Cookies (grain-free, dairy-free)
I've been wanting to make snickerdoodle cookies for a while. My first batch was a total flop; this is another effort of my work in progress. I have a friend who eats Paleo, and I wanted to make some that she would be able to have. When my sister tasted these, she told me, "From a non-Gluten Free perspective, they taste like oatmeal cookes." Hence, their name...for now :)


This is a basic recipe using the ratio for cookies:
1 part sugar: 2 parts fat: 3 parts flour
Then I just started literally throwing together ingredients. Added cinnamon, and the standard baking powder and a pinch of salt--and, voila!

100g. (about 3/4c.) coconut sugar
300g (about 3c.) almond flour
1 T. cinnamon
1 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
200 g. (about 1 c.) coconut oil, melted
1 t. vanilla
1 egg

Combine all ingredients with a spatula until smooth. Make large tablespoon-sized balls, either by hand or with two spoons, and place them on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
Cool completely before serving. 

Makes 18 cookies.

This recipe was shared as part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment