Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Black Bean Mushroom Veggie Burgers



I noticed that I don't have many recipes on this blog for main meals...It's obvious that I like my sweets and baked goods! ;) However, I still thought this was something to be remedied. I've recently been wanting to play around with a veggie burger recipe anyway. Having never really had very many veggie burgers in my lifetime (actually, I think I've only had one, and it was a frozen soy patty--which in my mind, doesn't count), I decided that this would be my next cooking challenge.

This recipe has been adapted from this post at Laurel of Leaves in combination with this post for a veggie mushroom burger, plus enough tweaks that I think I can call this my own :)

Black Bean Mushroom Veggie Burgers

2 T. olive oil
1 1/2 c. (about 6 oz.) sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 1/2t. roasted garlic in the jar)
1 c. walnut pieces
1/2 onion, in wedges
1/2 of a bell pepper, sliced (whatever color you have on hand!--I used red this time)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 eggs
1 1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. paprika (or cayenne pepper)
sprinkle (1/4 t.) Kine seasoning (or salt, pepper, and cilantro to taste)


Heat oil on medium-low heat; Saute mushrooms & garlic in skillet, stirring, till mushrooms are cooked; set aside.
Mash beans in a bowl. Set aside.

Pulse walnuts in food processor till finely chopped. Toss onion, cooked mushrooms & bell pepper into the food processor with the walnuts, and pulse in food processor till finely chopped.

Put mixture into a large bowl. Stir together with mashed black beans. In a small bowl, mix egg and spices; Add to black bean mixture. (It doesn't look good now, but trust me, it's worth it!)

Make patties with your hands (will be slightly runny mixture), and place on baking sheet sprayed with olive oil. You will want to make your patties small enough to fit on your flat spatula. If you make them much bigger, they will just fall apart when you try to pick them up after cooking!

Bake at 375 degrees F, 15 minutes on one side. Carefully flip patties, and bake 10 minutes longer. 
You can serve these with GF bread; I had them on roasted slices of zucchini, roasted the same way as this recipe (minus the tomatoes and cheese). Top with fresh tomatoes, lettuce, and anything else you like with your burgers :)
Makes 8-10 patties, depending on size.
This post was shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Allergy Free Wednesdays.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! I love that they are baked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh YUM!! I have SO been wanting to make veggie burgers lately! Lol I have no idea why, but am pretty excited by the recipe ideas rolling around my mind :) Yours look super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good luck with your own experimenting adventures, too, with veggie burgers! ;)

      Delete