Friday, June 15, 2012

Meals that Freeze Well

This has been on my mind lately, so I thought I'd share it:
Father's Day four years ago was a time I will never forget. And it didn't really have much of anything to do with the actual holiday, except that it made it a day where I always remember. Four years today, actually. Read more in my previous blog post here. Then you can come back to this page :)

With that in mind (among other things), this Father's Day weekend, I thought that I'd share with you some meals that are good to freeze and give. You can either have them in your freezer, ready on hand to bake at the last minute if needed, or you can give the frozen (homemade!) meals to your friends, so that they can cook it whenever they want (especially if there's an immediate influx of food from other people). The very first meal that I had when my family and I came home from the hospital were some enchiladas and butternut squash soup from the freezer, that had been made by a neighbor weeks before. So, in the case that you have any friends who may have to be in the hospital, having a baby (or any other reason that a person may be confined to the house for a while), now you will have no excuse for not bringing over something yummy!
* Hints when bringing food to someone:
- Ask about any food preferences or allergies before bringing over food
- Bring the meal, salad, etc., in disposable containers, so that the recipient doesn't have to worry about returning it to you
- Be creative! You can do snack baskets of healthy foods (fresh fruit, trail mix, etc), or even breakfast for dinner!
- Here is a great book for more practical ideas on this subject (mine is marked and written all over!)

Now to the recipes:
Foods That Freeze Well

Southwestern Chicken or Turkey Taquitos - I have some of these in my freezer right now. Just reheat at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes, or you can zap them in the microwave.

Green (or any color!) Bell Pepper Casserole - So easy...once you brown the meat, everything else is basically thrown together. Make this recipe, and split it into 2 square 9x9" pans. Then you have one for your family dinner, and still one to give away!


Muffins and Breads also usually freeze really well, and are easy to make (these two recipes are from Elana's Pantry and are grain free). They're also great for the inevitable sweet tooth!

Please don't ever let any excuse keep you from reaching out to those who need it...Even if it seems like a little thing to you, I assure you, it means a lot to the person you are giving to. And every little bit makes a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment