Saturday, March 31, 2012

Blueberry Quinoa Cereal

This post reflects two of the things in life that I enjoy a lot right now:
1) Breakfast
2) Quinoa
I could easily have breakfast foods for dinner (and often do!). Quinoa is a relatively new discovery for me, and I love that it's so versatile (here is a recipe I tried for a Greek cuisine-inspired salad).
Here is a sweet breakfast/snack option, which is similar to oatmeal. It's super quick and easy. And the blueberries make it all purple, which is fun!


This cereal is from Laurel of Leaves. I will also half the recipe, and bring it with me to work in the mornings sometimes, or eat it cold for lunch on the road (I'll do breakfast anytime, I'm telling you!).

Blueberry Quinoa Cereal
1 c. uncooked quinoa
1 c. filtered water
1 c. almond milk
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 c. frozen (or fresh) blueberries
1/3 c. almonds or pecans (or walnuts), chopped (optional)
maple syrup (or agave nectar or honey), for drizzling

Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh colander to remove the saponins (we don’t want bitter tasting quinoa). Combine quinoa, water, milk, and cinnamon in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally (until most of the liquid has been absorbed).


Meanwhile, toast almonds or pecans in the toaster oven at 350 F for 5-6 minutes.

Remove quinoa from heat and let stand for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in blueberries. Portion into bowls and garnish with nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment